Ljung answered the following questions:
– How was 2011 for Soundcloud?
– How many users do you have now? Are you profitable yet?
– Streaming has gone… mainstream in 2011. Are you thinking “we were right all along”?
– Do you have a favourite Soundcloud artist success story from 2011?
– As an open API advocate, how do you react to developments like OpenEMI?
Though he wouldn’t single out specific artist success stories in principle, Ljung admitted to being impressed by cases of artists taking advantage of the internet as “a bi-directional medium…”; things like artists like Imogen Heap or 50 Cents asking their fans to contribute to their music and activity, through remix competitions or audio Q&A initiatives, for example.
Needless to say, 2012’s looking bright for Soundcloud!
Soundcloud will once again be strongly present at midem 2012, with Dave Haynes, the company’s VP of bizdev, notably co-organising the second midem hack day.
More on tech at midem here; startups can notably attend the event from €495