It’s hard to believe, but Midem 2017 is only days away. The 51st annual event will be held June 6-9 in Cannes. If this year’s show is anything like past years, it will be full of memorable moments, along with some surprises.
Can’t wait for the show to begin? Neither can we. Here are 10 things you won’t want to miss:
- Linkin Park vocalist and producer Mike Shinoda (top right) will co-write and record a song onstage with Blink 182 co-vocalist and bassist Mark Hoppus (top left). Shinoda also will serve as a Midemlab jury member. Learn more about the recording session.
- Twenty fantastic music startups will compete at the 10th annual Midemlab in four categories: music creation and education services; music distribution and discovery; marketing and data/analytics; and experiential technologies including artificial reality/virtual reality, high resolution, Internet of Things and hardware. Past winners of the award include SoundCloud, Next Big Sound and Stagelink. Discover the 2017 finalists.
- Eleven up-and-coming artists will perform as part of the Midem Artist Accelerator programme. The programme, designed for artists and their entourages, provides mentoring, meetings on monetising and exporting content, and workshops on music services and best practices. Finalists also have the opportunity to pitch to music supervisors and executives. The most-liked artists on Facebook M.anifest, Iris Gold and Be Charlotte (top photo centre) will play at Midem’s opening night, June 6. The rest will play during the other days of Midem. Meet all the finalists.
- Nine of the world’s leading music supervisors will speak at the Global Sync & Brands Summit. During the two-hour roundtable, artists will meet with the supervisors to offer their music for consideration for licensing opportunities. Speakers include Leland Music director and music supervisor Ed Bailie and CEO and global music manager of Record-Play/Adidas, Daniel Cross. Meet the summit speakers.
- Four VIPs will receive the second annual International Midem Awards for their talented and passionate contributions to the music industry along with their leadership. This year’s award winners are Sarah Stennett, Ralph Peer, Emmanuel de Buretel, Andrew Fisher. Meet the award recipients.
- Numerous speakers will discuss the importance of streaming services to the music industry. They include Sandra Gama, chief legal officer of iMusica, and Napster chief technology officer Brian Ringer. Meet the speakers.
- Five minutes isn’t a long time to make an impression, so better make it count. The professionals who participate in this year’s Meet the Women in Music will have five minutes in this networking series of mini meetings. More info here.
- Jake Isaac, Public Service Broadcasting and Dream Wife will perform for Music is Great, British Music at Midem. This showcase will be part of Midem By Night, a series of live performances held mainly on the beach of Majestic Hotel. An exclusive live experience by Man Doki Soulmates “Wings of Freedom” will also take place in the Grand Auditorium of the Palais des Festivals. Full conference schedule.
- New European independent labels will appear at the second annual Young Label Spotlight. During the event, the labels will discuss their challenges, successes and adventures. A Meet the Speakers session will immediately follow. More info here.
- Social media is the way to engage with young smartphone owners. The conference Messaging Apps, Bots, AI and Music: The Frontier of Fan Engagement will teach artists how to make the most of these technologies. Speakers include The Bot Platform founder and CEO Syd Lawrence. Meet the other speakers.
Top photo: Mark Hoppus, Be Charlotte, Mike Shinoda